Monday, April 16, 2007

'Surround Sound'

Have you ever put on headphones, bumped your favorite easy listening piece, and simply melted into the 'oneness' of the persoannly created listening environment? Remember the peace that came with it, the realisation that you were alone in your 'world' and that nothing could seem to go wrong? Ever wish there was a way to naturally reproduce such an experience without the aid of technology? Obviously I'm going somewhere with this, and that somewhere is this suggestion: during the winter, go to a frozen lake and either stand on the shore or on a dock. It's best to plan for it at night and one with no wind. I did this on my first Trek and my experience is something to remember.
Standing alone on the jutting dock in Shorewood, WI, just north of Milwaukee, I suddenly realized that I was indeed alone. The temperature that night was such that only a crazy guy like me would edure it to record some ambient sound. But that aloneness didn't seem to hit me until I actually closed my eyes and in a way pretended to be my microphone, imagining what the final product may sound like when I listen to it. What happened was that I suddenly became part of the environment, and because it was so quiet and so still, it gradually became excrutiatingly loud as I was able to pick out sounds normal listening would hear. Wafting across the frigid water came echoes of windchimes a mile away, dogs barking around the inlet, and the best anomally of all was the cracking of the ice making its way to me. The mike did a great job of picking it up, almost in a surround sound aspect.
Because I took the time, which I'm very good at, to stop and 'smell the roses' I was able to experience an event I'm guessing not too many people actually get to hear. That's a good question: how many people actually do stop and just listen?

No comments: